Jacob (Jake) Metcalf, PhD is a consultant and scholar specializing in data and technology ethics. He is passionate about helping people understand how seemingly small decisions about data technologies can have significant and disparate consequences in society. His academic background is in applied ethics, particularly in science and technology, and his scholarship in data ethics is recognized as influencing this nascent field, particularly around issues of research ethics policy and practice in academia and business. He lives amongst the redwoods of the Santa Cruz mountains, where he fulfills his lifelong dream of running a philosophy business from a converted barn.
Experience and expertise:
- Researcher at Data & Society Research Institute and co-PI on the NSF-funded PERVADE Team, a 4-year, $3M project studying research ethics in data science.
- Co-chair of the Ethics subgroup for the IEEE P7000 standard, Model Process for Addressing Ethical Concerns During System Design
- Affiliate at the Data Guild
- Previously working with the Council for Big Data, Ethics and Society at Data & Society (2014-16). Establishing ethics policies for the NSF’s big data projects and building community of data ethics experts.
- Previously, Assistant Director at the UC Santa Cruz Science & Justice Research Center (2010-2014). Helped found and direct a globally unique graduate research and education program dedicated to interdisciplinary research into science and technology ethics.
At Ethical Resolve, Ben focuses on quantitative and qualitative analysis, ethical strategy and digital pedagogy. In addition to his work with Ethical Resolve, Ben is a consultant for Singularity University and serves on the board of advisors for Accenture’s Technology Vision. Also an Education Technology entrepreneur, Ben faces many of the same questions that Ethical Resolve clients must contend with. This experience means that Ben is well versed in the corporate context and vernacular, helping make the messy theoretical problems more straightforward for employees.